The GEGAC Koorie Families as First Educators (KFFE) team provides a confidential service for all families who have Koorie babies and children aged 0-5 and focuses on positive parenting programs to build families’ confidence and to recognise the parents as the child/children’s first educators.
The KFFE program aims to support and educate young families by offering educational evidence-based parenting programs.
These programs assist and help educate our families in their roles as parents/carers.
Referrals to the KFFE program can come in a number of ways.
- Self Referrals – members of community are able to refer themselves to the program to get a support worker
- Other Agencies – other agencies often call GEGAC when they have clients who fit our criteria and refer clients directly to the team
Our KFFE team works with clients/families to address specific issues and the options available to deal with them which include, but are not limited to:
- Focussing on child outcomes facilitated by parents
- Enrolling families into parenting programs
- Conducting home visits
- Early intervention and prevention approach to develop parents capacity to support their children’s early learning and development, and
- Help with accessing services such as counselling, police, legal assistance, medical care and other relevant services and agencies.
For more information
To learn more, call GEGAC main reception on 5150 0700 and ask to speak to someone about the Koorie Families as First Educators program.