By Troy Brown

You may have been looking on social media or heard through conversation about the negotiations for Treaty for First Nations People.

However, you may be wondering…

  • What exactly is Treaty?
  • What would Treaty mean to Indigenous and non-Indigenous people?
  • When does it take place?
  • How can I get involved and have my voice heard?

Here are some of the answers to those important questions.

What is Treaty?

The Treaty will be a legally binding document that will guarantee certain rights for Indigenous people.

It will be negotiated by representatives of Indigenous people and the Australian government, and will only signed when both parties have agreed about what it says.

What will Treaty mean to the Indigenous peoples of Australia, and what will it do?           

Treaty will allow First Nations People to have the authority in their lives.

It will provide a path to negotiate the transfer of power, resources, self-governance, land and economic independence.

What is the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria?

The First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria is the independent and democratically elected body to represent Traditional Owners of Country and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Victoria.

It is traditional owners taking that step forward to getting things done.

Soon, the Assembly will be negotiating a statewide Treaty to help improve the living of Aboriginal peoples such as health, education and justice.

The Assembly will also help empower the diverse Traditional Owner groups in Victoria to negotiate Treaties in their areas that reflect their specific aspirations and priorities.

Treaty is our opportunity to make sure we always have the freedom and power to make the decisions that affect our communities, our culture and our Country.

What can I do now?

Now is the time to enrol to vote for who should be elected to the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria – these people will represent and lead us in Treaty negotiations.

Voting is happening from 13 May to 3 June.

To enrol visit

The Assembly is building an electoral roll for mob in Victoria. This means we can stand together when it is time to negotiate treaties.

Any traditional owner aged 16 or over, and any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander peoples from interstate, can enrol and vote, as long as they’ve lived in Victoria for at least three of the last five years.

If you want to learn more about the Treaty process and framework, watch this video, below.

Related posts